Junk is one of those things that people don’t think about – until they have too much.
It’s easy to accumulate clutter. The same can’t be said for getting rid of it. Hiring a junk hauling company in the Bay Area is a convenient option but there are several things that may influence the cost of hiring a service to do the work for you.
We’re going to walk you through how much junk removal services cost and other factors worth weighing as you reach your decision to hire a Bay Area junk removal service .
How much do junk removal services cost?
The cost of hiring a junk removal company in the Bay Area can vary due to a number of factors.
We also know that it can get confusing with all of the different charges and terms used by junk removal companies, especially if you have never used a hauling service before.
Some terms you may see include:
The size of your load, type of junk, and where the items are located can all play an important part in the total cost of the service.
For example, regular household goods such as furniture and general trash weigh significantly less than items like dirt, rocks, or concrete – meaning it will be cheaper to haul away.
Another example is hauling away items from a 16th floor apartment will take much longer then removing items from a single story home. This means that the job will require more labor hours.
We’re going to break down these terms and the costs you can expect from different load types and sizes.
How much does junk removal services cost? – Common price ranges
As we mentioned, there are a number of factors that may contribute to the total cost of your junk removal pick-up. We understand that you’re probably wanting to put together a budget before your appointment and need to have a general idea of a starting price point.
For that reason, here are some ballpark ranges to help give you an understanding of what it might cost to hire a junk removal service in the Bay Area.
Keep in mind these ranges are an average for companies that will legally dispose and recycle your items and carry the proper licensing and insurance to do so.
Hiring someone with the above qualifications is important, as hiring unlicensed haulers can lead to community-wide problems like illegal dumping.
Price range for a single item (labor, recycling, and donating if applicable included):
Examples: (1) Mattress, (1) Appliance, (1) Furniture Piece
- Small Single Item – $100-$300
Examples: (1) Piano, (1) Hot Tub, or Other Large Speciality Single Item
- Large Single Item – $300-$750+
Price range for volume (most labor, recycling, and donating if applicable included):
More than one item of general household junk and garbage
- Small Loads – $100-$300
- Medium Loads – $300-$500
- Large Loads – $500-$1000+
- Property Cleanouts – $2,000+
Price for bedload (most labor, recycling, and donating if applicable included):
Heavy construction type debris such as concrete, dirt, and bricks
- Small Loads – $200-$300
- Medium Loads – $300-$1,000
- Large Loads – $1,000+
Price for surcharge items
Mattresses, tires, appliances, sofas, monitors, etc
- $10-$50 depending on the item
What’s behind the cost of hiring a junk removal service
If this is your first time hiring a junk removal company, we understand that these costs and terms may be confusing and could trigger some initial sticker shock.
Although most people don’t think about it, the management of “junk” and general solid waste is one of the most critical issues facing municipalities throughout the United States, according to Jim O’Connor, Chairman and CEO, Republic Services.
Challenges arise every day as society tosses out more and more wastes, regulations grow and the cost of providing services increases. Financially and logistically, the management of general junk and trash is becoming ever more difficult and comes with a price tag.
With hiring any junk removal service company for your junk and trash removal needs, there is a lot that is factored into the pricing.
When hiring a reputable junk removal company in the Bay Area, here are some of the things that are factored into the total cost of your junk removal pick-up when booking with Nixxit.
- All-Inclusive Labor – you don’t have to lift a finger
- Most Recycling & Disposal Fees
- Fully Licensed and Insured Company
- Sorting and Donating
- Fuel and Other Transportation Fees
- Complimentary Clean Up Service for Job
Let’s break down what these terms mean so that you understand what you are paying for.
Volume – Most general household debris and clutter is charged by the load size – volume. The price can vary depending on how much stuff you have. Because load sizes vary, most junk removal services offer a few different price points to accommodate items of all kinds.
The price given typically includes most labor. Most volume rates also build in travel, transport, and disposal fees. For any pick-ups that require more than 1 hour, there may be an additional fee.
Bedload – The price for heavy material, such as dirt, gravel, rocks, bricks, roofing material, and concrete, is charged by the bedload, not volume. This is due to weight and safety restrictions, more expensive disposal fees, and oftentimes this material requires extra labor or special equipment to handle.
Labor – A labor fee is an hourly rate that is sometimes charged for more labor-intensive jobs and is charged on a case-by-case basis.
Surcharge – Surcharges are items with an additional recycling fee. A surcharge may apply to some items to comply with local and state regulations. Common surcharged items include mattresses, box springs, appliances, televisions, and more.
How much do you tip your junk removal service professionals?
We know that tipping can be one of the more confusing customs in the United States.
This is because there are no real “rules” for tipping as it should be done to express gratitude and entirely at your discretion.
But we know that it’s nice to have some guidelines to reduce the anxiety and awkwardness of how much to tip if you feel that you want to.
Just like tipping at a restaurant, there’s no perfect rule. However, we like Consumer Report’s advice in their tipping guide. They recommend 5-to-10 percent of the total cost or $10 to $20 per person.
If you booked Nixxit for your junk removal service, all payments including tipping can be done electronically when your job is complete.
How to decrease the cost of your junk removal appointment
- Be prepared – You can drastically reduce the cost of your junk removal service by being prepared for your appointment. For every full truck, most junk removal companies will include general labor up to 30 minutes – 1 hour. If items are pre-bagged or boxed and ready to go, this will reduce labor hours significantly. This is mostly applicable to large loads or full home cleanouts.
- Opt to place items outside – Some junk removal companies in the Bay Area will give you a small discount if items are placed on the curb or in the driveway where it’s easily accessible. If you book with Nixxit, we offer 10% off of all curb-side pick-ups in the Bay Area.
What could increase the cost of your junk removal appointment?
- Size and complexity of job – Larger scale cleanups such as construction debris or full home cleanouts generally require more time and manpower to complete.
- Long walking distances – The longer it takes our team to transport your items to our truck, the longer the job will take. If access to where the items are located is a challenge, this may increase labor hours spent – which may increase the cost of your junk removal service.
- Heavy waste, junk, or debris – Since heavier items are typically more expensive to dispose of and require more labor to haul, there may be an additional cost for this service or it may be a different cost entirely. Keep in mind that some junk removal services won’t haul items that are too heavy so it’s important to let them know upfront if you have any heavy junk. Nixxit can haul away a variety of heavy materials including dirt, concrete, safes, and more. See what else Nixxit can haul away here.
How much would junk removal cost if you did it yourself?
If you are still deciding if you want to hire a Bay Area junk removal service, it’s best to consider all options. One option is hauling your debris yourself.
When hauling the waste or debris yourself, it can take a significant amount of time and energy to load the trailer or truck with the debris, properly and safely secure it, drive it to the dumpsite, pay the fees, unload it (you may be responsible to unload it all), and then drive back.
And that’s just one trip.
If your decision to do your junk hauling yourself is budget-based, remember that junk removal on it’s own isn’t free either.
There are several hidden costs to DIY junk hauling that you may not have thought about. Here’s some things you may want to price out beforehand.
- Truck or Trailer Rental – If you don’t already own a vehicle that’s large enough to fit all your items, you will most likely need to rent one. The cost to rent a truck or trailer will vary greatly by size. Make sure to also factor in the cost of insurance and additional mileage fees.
- Fuel Costs – It’s also important to factor in the cost of gas. Rules may be different depending on where you rent a truck from, but most require that you return the rental with a full tank.
- Dump Fees – The cost to dump your items at a local landfill or transfer station will vary depending on where you live. Typically, these places charge by tons, plus any applicable surcharges.
- Convincing A Friend To Help – Depending on how much work is involved, you may need to bring in a buddy or two. Although, I am sure this is the last thing your friends want to spend their weekends doing. If they agree (lucky you), we suggest at the minimum paying in pizza and beer.
- Opportunity Cost – Don’t forget about the time and labor involved – don’t underestimate the value of your time. Is this something you want to spend your weekend or weekends doing?
- Safety Considerations – Lifting things can be taxing on your body, especially without the right tools or training. Save yourself the time and back-breaking work by hiring a professional junk removal service to take care of the physical and logistical aspects of your project.
So, should you hire a junk removal service?
Cost is important but look at more than just the bottom dollar when deciding on whether to hire a junk removal company.
Factor in the time, effort, and dump fees required to haul the load yourself. In many cases, it may be worth paying a little more to hire a Bay Area junk removal company to do the work for you.
We hope that our breakdown of how much junk removal costs has been helpful. Remember that you have control over the variables that can increase or decrease the cost of hiring a professional in the Bay Area to haul away your items for you.
To learn more about Nixxit’s full-service junk removal, give us a call today at (925) 521-8354. We provide everything from single item pick-ups to multiple truckload cleanouts across the Bay Area. Check out some of the areas we serve. Book your free on-site estimate with Nixxit today online.
Need Help with Junk Removal in the Bay Area, CA?
Nixxit Junk Removal can help with your junk removal needs in the Bay Area.
- Full-Service Junk Removal and Sorting
- We Do the Heavy Lifting and Loading
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Donation and Recycling
- Same Day Appointments Available!