Ready to learn everything you need to know about appliance recycling and disposal in the Bay Area? Keep reading.
Appliance Recycling, Disposal, & Pick Up in the Bay Area, CA
If your fridge is on the fritz or it’s time for a brand-new dishwasher or washing machine, you may have come to find that getting rid of old appliances isn’t always an easy task.
Appliances are big, bulky, and made of materials that tend to make their removal difficult and costly.
If you’re wondering what to do with an old appliance in the Bay Area, CA, check out Nixxit’s tips to appliance removal, recycling, donation, and haul away options here in the Bay Area, CA.
How To Dispose of Old Appliances in the Bay Area, CA
Since large appliances like freezers and refrigerators contain freon gas, they cannot be thrown away without posing a threat to the ozone layer.
In addition to wrecking havoc on the ozone layer, these substances are also potent greenhouse gases (GHGs) that contribute to climate change when emitted to the atmosphere. While the refrigerants used in newly manufactured units are still potent GHGs, these appliances do not contain ozone depleting substances (ODS) and are significantly more energy-efficient than older models.
In the United States alone, it is estimated that there are approximately 200 million household refrigerators/freezers, 40 million window air conditioning units, and 15 million dehumidifiers (AHAM 2001, EIA 2001). Of the refrigerators and freezers, over 20 million are secondary units located in people’s basements or garages (AHAM 2001, EIA 2001). Often, these secondary units are older models that are less efficient.
Roughly nine million refrigerators/freezers, six million window air conditioning units, and nearly one million dehumidifiers are disposed of each year.
Given the large number of refrigerated appliances that are taken out of service each year, the proper removal and disposal of these appliances can be significant.
Where Can I Recycle An Old Appliance?
If your appliances don’t work anymore, you can recycle your appliances at a local transfer station for a fee or scrap metal recycler (some scrap metal recyclers may ask you to take the appliance apart as they will only accept certain parts for each appliance).
Keep in mind that you will need a truck to transport your appliance and you will also need to unload the appliance yourself.
You can also reach out to your local municipal garbage service to see if they are offering any upcoming curbside appliance pick-up days. These special organized pick-ups usually occur a few times a year depending on the provider. This will require a little research on your end.
Tip: Don’t know who your garbage service provider is? Check your garbage bill or check the side of your trash cans for the name of your provider.
If you are planning to recycle your appliance yourself, don’t forget to remove food and garbage from appliances before bringing your appliance to a facility.
If you are looking to donate your old refrigerator or other appliance, there are several Bay Area non-profits that may accept it.
It is worth pointing out that the condition of the appliance will be an important factor when it comes to donating your appliance to an organization. Organizations that accept appliance donations will only consider new or very gently used appliances.
With COVID-19, many of these organizations are also no longer offering pick-up services so you will have to drop off these new or gently used appliances yourself for donation.
Habitat for Humanity Restores is one SF Bay Area organization that accepts a variety of different appliances. Proceeds from the sale of donated items directly impact Habitat’s mission to build affordable housing for families in need.
Selling Old Appliances
If your appliance is in good working condition, you could try to sell it online or through a third-party selling app such as Facebook Market Place or OfferUp. When selling your used appliance, just make sure to be honest about the condition of it. Point out any scratches and dents. Also, be clear about how much it has been used.
Most buyers will be willing to pick up items directly from your home, so you don’t have to worry about transporting it.
You will, however, need to be able to store your appliance until you can find a buyer.
Hiring A Junk Removal Company To Haul Away Your Appliance
If you want minimal effort on your end, consider hiring a junk removal company to haul away your old appliance for you.
Most junk removal companies, like Nixxit, will not only haul away your old appliance on-demand, they will properly recycle the appliances or even do the donating for you. Letting a professional junk removal company handle this work for you will save you a ton of time and effort.
This is a great solution, especially when you need the appliance hauling done quickly and efficiently.
Looking for a professional appliance hauling company in the Bay Area? Check out these 9 Must-Ask Questions Before Hiring A Junk Removal Company.
How Much Does Appliance Removal and Disposal Cost in the Bay Area, CA
- Hauling It Yourself – If you chose to transport and recycle the appliance yourself, there are several costs to consider (don’t forget to factor in your time too).
- First, if you don’t have a truck, you will need to rent one. Truck rental companies typically have a base rental price for the day but will also tack on additional fees such as fuel refill fees, insurance, mileage, environmental fees, and taxes.
- There will also be the cost to recycle the appliance at the recycling facility. This fee will range greatly depending on location and facility. A typical appliance recycling minimum will be anywhere around $50-$80. Appliances with freon will also have additional fees.
- Hiring A Professional – When hiring a professional junk removal service to haul away your old appliance, you can relax knowing that they will take care of everything, saving you a weekend of doing it yourself.
- Once the appliance has been disconnected from all utilities, companies like Nixxit will come in and remove the appliance from anywhere, load it up, and properly recycle or donate it for you.
- Depending on the type of appliance, you can expect to pay a professional company in the Bay Area anywhere between $119-$150 to haul away your old single appliance.
Do you have an appliance that you are looking to have hauled away in the Bay Area? Give Nixxit a call at (925) 521-8354 for an appliance haul away estimate.
Does anyone take old appliances for free?
If you are looking for a free appliance pick-up and hauling service, it’s not very likely you’ll be successful. If you are buying a brand new appliance from a big box retailer, they may take your old appliance for a small fee. Other than this, free appliance pick-up is not a common service.
Why? The answer is actually quite simple. There are many costs involved in picking up an appliance. The primary costs being labor, fuel, equipment wear and tear, insurance, and of course the cost to properly recycle the appliance. The price that someone would make from selling an appliance as “scrap metal” wouldn’t even come close to covering these types of operational costs.
To ensure that your used appliance gets picked up and recycled properly, it is far easier to simply call a professional junk removal service like Nixxit. Nixxit provides a fast, safe, and environmentally friendly appliance removal service. Plus, you will always get upfront and transparent pricing.
Local Appliance Pick-Up Near You
If you are looking for a local appliance pick-up service near you, Nixxit covers the entire San Francisco Bay Area. From refrigerator pick-ups to washer and dryer disposals, Nixxit can haul away all of your old appliances.
We are a locally owned and operated junk removal service based right here in the East Bay.
Nixxit provides professional, eco-friendly appliance disposal and recycling services at an affordable rate. Learn more about our appliance haul away services here.
How Appliance Haul Away With Nixxit Works
Nixxit makes it extremely easy to get rid of your old unwanted appliances with these three simple steps.
- Book An Appointment – Simply schedule a convenient 2-hour window appointment time with us based on your availability. You can do this online or give us a call at (925) 521-8354.
- Arrival – On the day of your scheduled appointment, you will receive a call 30 minutes before your promised arrival window letting you know when our team expects. You will also receive a text message with your junk removal expert’s name and picture so that you’re greeted by a familiar face when they arrive. Once our uniformed professionals arrive, they will conduct a brief walk-through, take note of any special instructions you may have, and then provide you with a free no-obligation appliance haul away estimate.
- We Haul It – If you agree to the price, our team will work quickly to haul away your unwanted appliance(s) from wherever they are located.
Do you have more than just appliances? Not to worry. Nixxit accepts almost everything (except for hazardous waste). We can haul away all of your other unwanted items during your scheduled appointment.
Appliance Items We Haul Away
Below are a few common appliances that Nixxit frequently hauls away. Don’t see your appliance listed below? Just give us a call at (925) 521-8354, we most likely can still take it!
- Air Conditioners
- Space Heaters
- Stoves & Ovens
- Water Heaters
- Washing Machines