Storage units are incredibly useful for those times when you are short on space or are in the process of moving or downsizing.
Unfortunately, they can also turn into abandoned places to store junk that people often never need again. Professional organizer, Julie Naylon, said many people rent units, fill them up with possessions and then forget about them.
“It is out of sight, out of mind,” she said. After all, there’s a reason so many of them get auctioned off.
Consider this: If you currently pay $150 a month to store items you no longer use, you can save $1,800 in a single year by clearing those items and terminating your storage rental contract.
Rather than paying a monthly bill to keep your stuff sitting around in an old storage unit, it’s time to clean your unit and save some money.
If you need to empty your self-storage unit, here is a step-by-step guide for a successful storage unit clean out.
What is a Storage Unit Clean Out?
A storage unit cleanout completely removes all or most personal items from your rented storage unit. A complete storage unit cleanout generally includes removing all items from the unit, so it’s ready to be rerented.
Before starting your Bay Area storage unit cleanout project, check with the attendant on duty or management for your public storage unit to determine if there are any particular guidelines or suggestions for cleaning your storage unit rental.
Common Reasons For Storage Unit Cleanouts
There are many reasons why you might need a storage unit cleanout, including:
- You’re moving out of your storage unit and need it emptied.
- The storage unit has become too cramped and full to use.
- You inherited a storage unit.
- You won a storage unit at auction.
- You want to do some storage unit decluttering.
How to Do a Storage Unit Clean Out
Cleaning out a storage unit can be quite the project, especially if you have large and bulky items that take up a substantial amount of space. The key for a successful storage unit cleanout is to take things one step at a time. Here is Nixxit’s best storage unit cleanout tips to help make this process as easy as possible for you.
Put Together a Plan
- Establish a goal – Look around at what needs to be done. What’s your deadline? Are you looking to organize, sell off, trash, or donate items? Do you have the manpower to get the job done? These are just some questions we suggest asking yourself before getting started. These will help kick off your project.
- Make a schedule – Estimate how many hours or days you will need to organize and clean and create a schedule to complete the project.
- Enlist manpower – Is your storage unit a job for more than 1 person? If not, reach out to friends or family to give you a hand. You can also consider hiring a professional storage unit cleanout service. We will get more into this later.
- Allow yourself time – If you’re cleaning out personal or sentimental items, it can be an emotional process. Give yourself some time to go through things at your own pace. You don’t want to regret tossing or donating something sentimental because you were in a rush.
- The first thing you’ll want to do is go through everything in the storage unit and make notes of whatever is in there. Create an inventory list with a notepad and pen or excel/google sheet on your phone or tablet.
- This list will help you better understand what needs cleaning and may even make you realize you have items you are or aren’t ready to part with.
Keep, Trash, Donate, or Sell
Sorting your items can be one of the most overwhelming parts of the cleanout process, especially if you haven’t sorted your things in a while. An efficient and effective way to get through your items is to use the Four Box Declutter method.
With this method, you’ll use four “boxes” (it can also be piles if your stuff is overflowing) to help you quickly sort. The boxes will be:
- Toss Box – this will be for anything broken that can’t be repaired and needs to be thrown away.
- Donate – for items you will donate.
- Sell Box – for items you will donate.
- Keep/Store Box – these items will come home with you or remain in storage.
Storage Unit Cleanout Services
Storage unit cleanouts are tasks that, at some point or another, must be done. We get that it’s not the most exciting way you could be spending your Saturday.
But what if you are short on time, unable, or just don’t feel like spending the weekend clearing out your storage unit?
Hiring a professional storage unit cleanout service in the Bay Area will save a whole lot of time and money.
There are a number of Bay Area storage unit cleanout services that will clean out the entire unit or even just help remove one-off items like unwanted furniture and mattresses from your unit. You won’t even have to lift a finger.
Here’s how storage unit junk removal services work with Nixxit.
- Our junk removal specialists will handle the removal, bagging, and lifting.
- Our team will load up our truck
- Sweep the area where items were removed from
- Haul away the junk for proper disposal, donating, and recycling
How Much Do Storage Unit Cleanout Services Cost?
Pricing for storage unit cleanouts includes the loading, hauling, disposal, or recycling fees. Most companies charge by the volume that you fill up in the truck, so the price quoted depends on how many items they will be hauling and the overall volume of the load.
There are never any hidden fees when using Nixxit and we always provide a no-obligation upfront estimate before any storage cleanout job starts.
Nixxit Junk Removal: Professional Storage Unit Cleanout Services in the Bay Area, CA.
If you need help with your Bay Area storage unit cleanout, Nixxit can help! Our storage unit cleanout services are affordable and easy. You won’t need to do anything. Nixxit’s team of storage unit cleanout professionals will provide all the heavy lifting, haul away and responsible disposal of your old storage items.
Get Started On Your Storage Unit Cleanout Today!
If you would like to get started on your Bay Area storage unit cleanout, please call 1-855-564-9948. Our friendly storage unit junk removal professionals will work with you to see what your project is, get you on the schedule, and give you an on-site, no-obligation on-site estimate.
After our junk removal professionals arrive and provide you with a final estimate, they get to work, efficiently removing the materials from your storage unit.
Whenever possible, items are disposed of in an eco-friendly way, either through recycling, rehoming, or donating. Make an environmentally conscious choice when cleaning out your storage unit.
Need Help with Storage Junk Removal in the Bay Area, CA?
Nixxit Junk Removal can help with your storage junk removal needs in the Bay Area.
- Full-Service Junk Removal and Sorting
- We Do the Heavy Lifting and Loading
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Donation and Recycling
- Same Day Appointments Available!