Even though times have changed, the peak of the moving season is still right around the corner and people everywhere are still planning their upcoming moves. As they do, many are looking at their belongings and wondering what to pack and what to leave behind. It’s a common dilemma and if moving during a global pandemic isn’t already stressful enough, this too can feel like an overwhelming one.
After all, how do you sift through treasured belongings and get rid of things? Even more pressing, how do you deal with the junk that’s piled up over the years? Luckily, there are a few proactive steps you can take to make your move as easy as possible.
Let’s dive in.
Who is Moving This Season?
People move for all sorts of reasons but the temporary softening of the real estate market will likely be followed by a strong rebound once the quarantine is lifted here in the Bay Area. While the shift in economy will definitely play a role in this years moving season, Bay Area movers also expect to see the following populations packing up and heading to new places:
People relocating to less expensive housing markets. The Bay Area has some of the most expensive housing in the country. As such, many people are relocating to more affordable cities.
Seniors downsizing. When the kids have grown and gone, and the house has become hard to manage, many seniors decide to downsize and move into something smaller and more manageable.
Families Upsizing. Right now people are spending more time indoors. As space becomes cramped, many families may opt to actually sell and relocate into a larger home.
In addition to the three populations listed above, there are also people moving for a change of scenery after sheltering in place, to take a new job, or to be closer to family, friends, or kids.
5 Things to Leave Behind When you Move
Regardless of why you’re relocating, here are five things you might want to leave behind in the process.
1. Unused clothing. Many of us hold onto clothing we don’t use, won’t wear, or don’t like. Before you pack for this move, take an honest look at your closet. Bag up and give away (once donation facilities are open again) or get rid of anything you haven’t worn in a year, or anything that needs alterations, dry cleaning, or repairs you’re unlikely to do.
2. Heavy items. Books are a great example. They take up a lot of space, and most of us don’t need nearly as many as we have. Get rid of unwanted books and other bulky items, like DVD players, before you pack. Bonus: getting rid of bulky items can help you save on moving costs by decreasing the overall weight of your move.
3. Papers and files. Go through your file cabinets, boxes, and storage bins and dump old files you no longer need. The same goes for duplicate pictures, old cards, receipts, or anything that’s no longer of value.
4. Toiletries. Go through your bathroom cabinets and get rid of half-used, expired, or unwanted toiletries, pills, and personal care items. These only clog up your move and make it harder to get where you’re going. Also, consider tossing old makeup! FYI: expired and unused medication is regarded as hazardous waste. Here’s a post to help you learn how to dispose of it safely.
5. Bedding. Most of us have a few sets of sheets we never use. Before you move, scale bedding back to only the items you’ll use either for your bed or your guest rooms. Get rid of everything else.
How Can Junk Removal Services Help With Moving?
Moving can be overwhelming enough, without having to worry about how you’re going to transport your unwanted items from point A to point B. Not to mention the tricky prospect of moving during a global health crisis. Luckily, Nixxit’s junk removal services are here to help. Whether you’re planning for an upcoming move or you need last-minute services to help you get on the road, we’re here to help you get organized. Plus, we donate and recycle items, which removes another task from your moving to-do list!
Zero Contact Services
These times also present other unique challenges to moving – close contact with other people. While social distancing orders are still in place, you may wonder how to safely get all your last minute junk removal needs completed before moving day.
In today’s ever-changing environment, Nixxit understands that you may not feel comfortable interacting directly with our junk removal professionals.
To help you with your junk and trash removal needs, we’ve introduced two new contactless services and implemented a number of health and safety precautions. We are now offering:
1) Curbside Pickups (Receive 10% Off)
For the health of you and our service professionals, we’ve also put some additional precautions into place, such as frequently sanitizing high-touch surface areas, wearing gloves and masks, and more. You can read more about the precautions we have implemented here.
Ready to learn more about our services or schedule your pick-up? Contact us today.